vlink is a portable linker, written in ANSI-C, that can read
and write a wide range of object- and executable file formats.
It can be used to link a specific target format from several
different input file formats, or for converting, stripping
and manipulating files.
The linker can be controlled by GNU-style linker scripts to
generate absolute code, but it also runs very well with
default rules to create relocatable executables, as required
for AmigaOS or MorphOS.
Of course there might be technical restrictions that object
files of different architectures cannot be merged because of
incompatible relocation types, differing endianess or
symbol-names with and without leading underscores. But in
theory everything is possible!
Currently the following object and executable file formats
are supported by vlink:
- ELF 32bit PowerPC big endian
- ELF 32bit PowerPC AmigaOS (special dynamic linking rules)
- ELF 32bit PowerPC MorphOS (relocatable executables)
- ELF 32bit PowerPC PowerUp (relocatable executables)
- ELF 32bit M68k big endian
- ELF 32bit Jaguar RISC big endian
- ELF 32bit x86 little endian
- ELF 32bit x86 AROS (relocatable executables)
- ELF 32bit ARM little endian
- ELF 64bit x86_64 little endian
- a.out Sun/010 (also Amiga/Atari 68000)
- a.out Sun/020 (also Amiga/Atari 68020+)
- a.out MiNT (embedded in Atari TOS format)
- a.out Jaguar (M68k with support for RISC relocations)
- a.out NetBSD/68k (4k and 8k pages)
- a.out NetBSD/386
- a.out PC/386
- a.out generic
- AmigaOS hunk format
- EHF, extended hunk format (WarpOS)
- Atari TOS format (writing only)
- Motorola S-Records (writing only)
- Intel-hex format (writing only)
- AMSDOS format (Amstrad/Schneider CPC)
- Commodore 8-bit PRG format
- Raw binaries (writing only)
- VOBJ, proprietary versatile object format (reading only)
Note: There are currently no binaries available for download,
besides those included in a vbcc release. But you might want
to download the
latest source archive
and build a binary yourself.
01-Nov-2016: vlink 0.15c.|
- Fixed problems with relocation addend sign-extension, introduced in the last version.
17-Sep-2016: vlink 0.15b.|
- Reworked reading and writing of relocations. Support more complex relocations.
- Fixed inserting little-endian relocations, which only worked before when the reloc-fields started and ended on byte-boundaries.
- Do not include zero-bytes at the end of a section into the ininitalized file size, for those file format which support that.
- (elf) Fixed illegal memory access when linking an ELF program without a linker script.
- (elf32jag) Fixed MOVEI-relocation.
- (vobj) For little-endian the bit position in a byte of a reloc-field is now counted from right to left. VOBJ files by vasm-versions older than V1.7f may be incompatible for complex little-endian relocations (e.g. ARM).
12-Mar-2016: vlink 0.15a.|
- New option -mrel instructs the linker to merge all sections with PC-relative references between them. This was done automatically in previous versions, but makes no sense for most targets.
- New option -hunkattr, which assigns memory attributes to an input section name. The memory attributes of all those input sections will be overwritten.
- (elf) Introduced the new target "elf32jag", an unofficial ELF target for the Atari Jaguar RISC CPU.
- (ados/ehf) Read/write extended memory attributes (0xc0000000 in hunk type or size). Extended attributes in object files seem inofficial, but supported by vasm now.
- (ados/ehf) Allow memory flags with HUNK_PPC_CODE in object files.
- (ados/ehf) Support HUNK_RELRELOC32 in executables (since OS3.0).
- (a.out) Fixed pc-relative relocations in relocatable object file output.
28-Dec-2014: vlink 0.15.|
- (ados/ehf) Support for SAS/C style indexed libraries (HUNK_LIB).
- (ados/ehf) -Csasc is accepted to build a table with SAS/C constructors and destructors. It looks for functions named __STI_... and __STD_...
- (tos) New option -tos-textbased to write symbol offsets which are based on the text section (MonST-comaptible).
- (tos) text and data section size in the header must not be odd.
- (aoutmint) text and data section size in the header must not be odd.
07-Jun-2014: vlink 0.14d.|
- (vobj) Fixed reading common symbols from VOBJ files.
- (a.out) Fixed detection of Atari Jaguar MOVEI relocations.
- (tos) Label values from the symbol table must be an offset to the section they are defined in.
27-Dec-2013: vlink 0.14c.|
- (ados/ehf) Ignore FILE and SECTION symbols, when converting from a different format. They have no meaning here.